Saturday, February 15, 2014

Feb, 2014

  I listen and read quite a bit about current events and politics, maybe too much at times. Those who know me are aware that I have strong opinions, and I am pretty conservative. My definition of being conservative is believing that smaller less intrusive government is much better than the bloated, overreaching, overspending, corruption based entity that our government has become. That doesn't mean that I am heartless and I don't care about those folks less fortunate than me. It also doesn't mean that I hold a grudge, dislike, or think any less of my friends and family members whose opinions differ from my own. I may have trouble understanding why they see things so differently than me, but I'm glad we live in a place where we can disagree, and state our views publicly. I also feel that the freedom to speak our mind is slipping away, and maybe a lot faster than people want to believe. The current IRS scandal is one of the scariest overreaches of government in my lifetime. It isn't even argued that individuals and groups were targeted, sidelined, and singled out because of their opinions. Even though are own President recently stated that there wasn't a "smidgen" of corruption in the IRS, one of the leaders (Lois Lerner) pled the 5th when testifying in front of congress. Nobody pleads the 5th if they are haven't done anything illegal, nobody. Ah, the 5th amendment, there is an amendment that is completely safe from the politicians in Washington DC. They may try to destroy the 1st and 2nd amendments, but they will NEVER touch the one that gives them something to hide behind in court when they get caught lying, cheating, stealing, etc.

    Up next, my opinions on elected leaders and my realization that almost everyone in congress, irregardless of party affiliation, cares more about getting into power or staying in power than doing what's right for their constituents and this country.

2 comments:

  1. This is going to be a must read blog for me. Thanks for linking it on Facebook. Looking forward to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good stuff. help keep me aware. Why do you think I like hiking in the woods for months at a time, Gives me time to forget about the madness.... :-)

    ReplyDelete